Friday 2 July 2010

Six Months

It struck me today that it is officially July.  2010 is halfway over.  On the one hand, I believe this must be impossible.  New Years' Eve was just the other day!  On the other hand, I don't understand how 2010 isn't over already.  Where was I six months ago?

Well, I still lived in San Francisco for one thing.  I still worked for Best Buddies, expecting an imminent pay raise and promotion which never materialized.  The idea of coming to Korea was a nugget buried in the back of my mind to be realized at some much later, indeterminate date.  I had just moved into a new apartment and broken up with Matty, and I was incredibly incredibly depressed.  And, as a result, frequently not sober.  I had no idea what I was doing with my life nor any inkling of what the future had in store for me.

Now?  I have been in Korea for two and a half months already.  Best Buddies feels like a (thankfully) distant memory.  I've applied to a masters program that doesn't start for an entire year still, which means if I get accepted, I'll have the next 3 years of my life pretty much on lockdown.  I skype with Matty almost every other day and I am bursting with excitement for him to come visit in just one short month (!!!).  And I am very rarely not sober.  I feel like I've gained a lot of perspective in just my short time here and I think leaving Best Buddies and San Francisco (as much as I miss it) was the best thing I could have possibly done for myself.  I may get frustrated sometimes (I mean, just today I was cursing my 3-5 students and wishing I could smack the little animals in the face) but it's interesting, and nice, to see how much has changed in just six months.  It makes everything feel ok.  And for the first time in a long time, I'm excited for the years between now and 30.

1 comment:

  1. Your comment, "smack the little animals in the face" made me laugh!! I SO want to do that with SO many patients that are crotchety. If you haven't already,go to my FB profile and watch the yellow "stress relief" post I made. Listening to it makes me feel better.
    Happy to know that you're rarely not sober and sorry that the new year was so painful. Always remember, tho, that you're loved!!!

    ReplyDelete