Friday 16 July 2010

My Desk Is So Hot, It's On Fire

I have the urge to write something, even though I have absolutely nothing of any import to say.  I've had that weird sensation of creeping malaise that I get sometimes for most of this week, particularly today.  I hate when I feel so uncomfortable and listless and I can't place my finger on why.  It drives me crazy from the inside out, like I wanna crawl out of my skin or something.  I think a big part of it is just generalized anxiety about Matty's visit, piled on top of total utter boredom at work.  Today, for example, it is so ridiculous that I am even here at school.  There is no class or summer camp or really any reason for me to be here whatsoever.  But the Korean school system will be damned if it's not going to claw those 8 contracted hours out of me every single day, even if it reduces me to a prisoner in a desk chair.  I keep trying to tell myself that I was given fair warning, that I was told straight up front before taking this job that I was just going to have to deal with these deskwarming days.  But man do they make time crawl.

This weekend Anne and I are joining a group of ~450 people heading to Boryeong for Mudfest 2010.  We basically will spend 2 days getting muddy on a beach with thousands of other foreigners (and I guess probably a few Koreans).  I'm really not sure what to expect from this event, but at least it'll be an experience.  It's just too bad that there probably won't be much photographic evidence of it since no one will want to bring cell phones or cameras out to the mudflats just to be destroyed.  Then 2 weeks of summer camp, and then finally summer vacation.  I really just need Matty to be here already so I can stop stressing about it.  I'm also glad I found a cheap ticket to Hong Kong for the week after, since I've really been hoping to go back (I left over six years ago already!!) and at least I have a friend from SF I can stay with.  Too bad the heat and humidity will be disgusting, but hey, I'll be in HK!  I have the feeling my summer break is going to go by far, far too quickly, which only makes the current state of time that much more frustrating.  Hurry up and get here, August 2nd!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment