Wednesday 28 April 2010

WHERE IS SPRING?????

Apparently this is one of the coldest and longest winters South Korea has ever had.  Spring normally arrives long before the date I got here, April 12th.  But not this year!!  Ever since I got to Korea, it has been freakin freezing.  Today, three days away from May, it is only about 40 degrees and windy and rainy.  Same thing yesterday.  I am ready to cut someone.  GIVE ME SPRING!!!

On a side note, today the foreign-language teaching department (8 people, including myself) went out to lunch after midterm exams.  The Koreans call this hwe-shik and it is quite a frequent occurrence within companies and organizations as kind of a bonding ritual.  At least once a month, an entire department or even the whole school faculty will go out to a restaurant for lunch or dinner and drinks.  There has not yet been an evening hwe-shik since I started working here, but apparently those are the ones that get really messy because all the teachers get super-drunk.  In Korea, it is very very rude to stop drinking before the head boss (or principal in the case of a school) so I have heard from other native English teachers that hwe-shiks at night are pretty crazy and funny, but also a bit much to deal with.  Anyway, at our hwe-shik today, we literally ate soup of fish eggs and fish guts.  It was good, even though the eggs and guts really did look disgusting.  I am really glad that I am not put off by gross-sounding or gross-looking food, because I would be missing out on some good stuff.  I remember being the only one of my friends to eat the haggis back in Scotland, and it was delicious.

Although right now, my stomach kinda hurts.  I hope I don't regret being adventurous today....

2 comments:

  1. It's 45* and raining here today, too. May Day will be here, soon enough, and with it will come a glorious spring.
    What are "haggis"? How do you get beyond the look of eating eggs & guts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!! I would strongly suggest looking haggis up on Wikipedia... it's even grosser than fish eggs and fish guts ;)

    ReplyDelete