Monday 7 June 2010

Breathing

We take for granted the value of fresh air and the importance of breathing until the lack of the former makes the latter so damn difficult.  I am developing the worst cough and having such a hard time breathing thanks to the absurdly damp and heavy air in my shithole of a house.  I would open the windows to let fresh air in if it weren't for the subsequent mosquito and insect invasion (yes, even with screens on the windows... apparently they're just for show). 

On top of the humidity and thick air that lingers in the house, I am beginning to suspect there is mold in the walls.  The Chinese teacher, who shares the house with me, has had a horrific cough for weeks now that won't go away and now I'm developing the same thing.  Upon returning to the house after going to Seoul for the weekend, I noticed a funky smell that permeated the house and I have definitely had some difficulties breathing properly when watching TV at night and when waking up in the morning.  Last night and this morning, I've been congested, sneezing, coughing, watery eyes, etc etc... I know that the school won't do anything about it, so I am not sure what to do.  I will talk to my co-teacher today, as well as the coordinator for the GEPIK program that hired me, to see what my options are.  The house definitely feels very unhealthy.  I did not sign up for this crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment