Thursday 31 March 2011

Nearing The End

Wow. It's been almost 51 weeks since I first arrived in Korea. I only have seven more days of teaching before I am done forever. This has been a strange year. I've grown a lot and realized many things about myself. As was to be expected. But I am not regretful about leaving in the slightest and I am more than ready to get back to California. This may be because I know I'll only be in the US for 5 months before I leave again; I may not be so excited if I were heading back to the US indefinitely. Still, at this moment in time, I am ready.

It's not that I am desperate to leave Korea per se. There are so many things I love and will miss about this country. I will miss the food, the cost of living, the general demeanor of Korean people, the level of safety, and the amazing public transit system. It has been no secret, though, that I have not enjoyed my job or the house I've been stuck in or my ugly podunk little village. Or the weather!! Before Jen left Korea for good last month, she told me that she wished I could have had a different experience in Korea, one more similar to hers, so that I would have enjoyed my year more fully. I certainly echo this wish, but I also understand that everything happens for a reason and I'm positive that this experience has taught me many things, some of which I may not even be aware of yet.

I will not miss you, 하성.


I will say, begrudgingly, that the last 6 weeks of teaching haven't really been all that bad (with a few exceptions). Thank goodness for the new school year starting in March. I think the new batch of co-teachers really shook things up here at school as many students who behaved terribly last year have been infinitely more respectful so far this semester. In addition, I finally feel as though I've got a handle on how to do my job the way the school expects of me (with only weeks to go... isn't that the way things always work!) so the students have been a lot more engaged in class. I mean, honestly, I find my 2-2 class this semester to be downright enjoyable!! I can laugh and joke with them, while simultaneously feeling like I am actually imparting knowledge. Imagine that! But still, even with the recent changes, I would never choose to remain longer than necessary at this school. It is no coincidence that 14 out of 32 Korean teachers left for new schools when the year changed over at the end of February. This is a tough, tough place to teach. At least I have a greater understanding that it's the school that is the problem, and not teaching itself. In fact, if circumstances were different, I actually think I could be a pretty good teacher, and would enjoy it to boot. That's good to know.

Now, with only eleven more days before I leave Haseong forever, the light is finally appearing at the end of the tunnel. I am so excited to spend a week in Seoul just relaxing with friends and especially excited to visit Maui with my parents before heading home for a wonderful summer with my family. I really can't wait. And then, GRAD SCHOOL. Man, I am pumped. Peace out, Korea, bring on the next phase!

No comments:

Post a Comment